Beware of the Comfort Zone!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Why can't I just be satisfied with my life the way it is? What is this constant desire to keep stepping out of my comfort zone? I know that change is hard! Growth can really hurt! I guess that's where the term "growing pains" comes from. Being complacent is safe. Isn't it? Yes, because there is no chance of failure when you are complacent.


Although I know all of this I am constantly still making moves to step out of my comfort zone. As I get older I realize that I am in constant competition with myself. What I want to know is where was this competitive spirit when I was younger and had more energy. I know so many people who are happy with their lives just like I am and no matter what they will never voluntarily move out of their comfort zone. Why can't this be me? Instead, when I stay in my comfort zone for too long I feel restricted as if I am slowly being intellectually suffocated. I have to keep changing, learning, growing. It's exhausting and at the same time exciting.

Complacency is just another excuse for fear and this is why many of us pretend to be content in our current situations whether it be in our personal or professional lives. We are afraid of change. Afraid of the unknown. Afraid of failure. I know these feelings all to well. But there is something about moving beyond my fear that gives me a sense of freedom and reminds me that I am still growing. Growth represents life. And I still have a whole lot of life in me!

So ladies, really think about this one. What would you do if you could move past your comfort zone? What would you do if you weren't afraid of change?



4 comments:

Alicia on November 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM said...

THIS: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

Mimi on November 20, 2011 at 1:45 AM said...

I am there now. I was fine for awhile now I yearn to do more, but I'm afraid. I've started to make steps whether I am afraid or not. I must step out of my comfort zone.

Anonymous said...

You and I are so much alike. I am in constant competition with myself and always thinking of ways I can do better. It's not that I am not happy or grateful for who I am and what I have, I just always feel like the possibilities are endless. I doubt I have even scratched the surface of all that God has created me to be and do. I know I have to get back on track with Him and He will show me the way.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path" Proverbs 3: 5-6
~Karitsa

We love the 80ss on November 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM said...

Nothing wrong with you. It is normal to keep stiving to do better.

Post a Comment