Most of us have a checklist with the things we want to accomplish for the New Year and usually that list includes a new and improved weight loss regimen. However, I came across a list that includes some items that many of us may not think about putting on our list. (I love #36) Enjoy and Happy New Year!
In 2012, I believe all women should have or work toward having:
1. Peace of mind and if possible a piece of property.
2. A will.
4. A savings account in your own name.
5. A mammogram.
6. A manicure (not to mention a pedicure, a facial and a massage--all on the same day).
7. A set of matching luggage.
8. A ticket to some exotic place to unpack it.
9. A great hairdresser, manicurist and gynecologist.
10. A passionate, fiery, unforgettable love affair.
11. A little black dress that makes you look five pounds thinner.
12. A sense of humor, style and purpose.
13. A selfish streak.
14. A spiritual foundation that gets you through a very bad night without going crazy.
15. A facial foundation that gets you through a very long day without going ashy.
16. A good bra.
17. A good spa.
18. A library card (used often).
19. A credit card (used sparingly).
20. At least one person in your life who says: "You call, I come."
21. Good body language (multilingual!).
22. A broken heart and the knowledge you can survive it.
23. A cause (domestic violence, infant mortality, save the whales--your choice).
24. A personal relationship with God.
25. A personal trainer.
26. Selective amnesia ("What Saturday morning meeting?").
28. A good skin-care regimen.
29. The ability to converse on any subject without benefit of concrete knowledge or access to facts.
30. A shocking secret.
31. A pair of silk pajamas.
32. A lifetime membership in at least one organization that uplifts women.
33. The phone number of someone who is good with their hands.
34. At least one drop-dead, don't-speak-to-me-because-you-know-you-don't-know-me gorgeous photo of yourself.
35. A friendship that has stood the test of time.
36. One last chance to tell the guy you were crazy about in your 20s who treated you like cigarette ashes on the floor what you were too dumb to know when he walked out with your heart in his hands: "Thank you, thank you, thank you."
37. A soul mate.
38. Faith, hope and a good fantasy.
39. A dream.
40. A plan to make it come true.
Parts of list taken from 1997 Ebony Magazine Johnson Publishing Co.