Let Your Hair Down!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

It is funny that the older I get the more fun I want to have. Maybe it is because I had the responsibility of being a mother at a young age and was afraid to be silly for fear of what people might think about me.  Now that I have a healthy disregard about what people think from time to time when the feeling hits me I get as silly as I want to! Sometimes when I feel myself thinking about something that may get me down I just break out in dance right in front of the television even when the rest of the family is watching it. Just for fun! My daughter usually looks at me like I am insane but it makes her laugh which makes me laugh. We can get so bogged down with the responsibilities of everyday life that we forget that it is okay to be silly once in awhile and just have plain ole fun!

When I was in grad school my weekend consisted of doing research and writing papers. So when I completed my Masters last year I made a promise to myself that I would start enjoying my weekends by doing something other than household chores, lesson plans and preparing for the work week ahead.  I work hard and I should play hard, right?  So whether it be movie night with the family, hanging out with friends, or date night with my husband I intend to make my weekends fun! This past weekend I played Rap Star and Just Dance 2 with my family and our good friends! I learned that I can rap like Lil’ Kim and can still shake it like a Polaroid picture! I had a blast! Why not? Don’t we deserve to have fun and laugh at ourselves every now and then! I know I do and will continue to let my hair down!





6 comments:

ciara f. on January 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM said...

I think this blog is GREAT you are an inspiration to me!

Nikki on January 5, 2011 at 7:25 AM said...

Thank you Cee that makes it all worth while! I love you UNCONDITIONALLY!

Alicia on January 5, 2011 at 10:45 PM said...

Work hard to play hard... And you know this, man! Work will always be there and always want more of you, but you need your fun too. And time with family/friends. Sometimes you have to make the fun memories NOW and worry about work later. I'm just saying...

Really like that you said you have a healthy disregard for what others have to say. People will have their opinions regardless of what you think, feel, or do, so hey... enjoy your life.

Unknown on January 8, 2011 at 11:18 PM said...

Exactly Alicia! I am so done with trying to please the world or trying to fit into a certain mold and image. I am just ME! Take me or leave me alone!

Karlene said...

I love the blog Nikki! I totally agree with everything you are saying! I also decided that this is definitely going to be the year of Karlene!

Nikki on January 13, 2011 at 3:02 PM said...

Woo Hoo! That's right Karlene! You deserve it! I will be right there celebrating the year of Karlene with you!

Post a Comment