The Reason for Reinvention

Saturday, January 8, 2011

In the Keri Hilson video for Every Woman Has a Breaking Point she gets a new short hairstyle as a symbol of freedom after her break up. It seems that many women cut their hair when they go through a major change in their life. It is a sign of reinvention…a new you! I guess I am no different because right before Christmas I too got a new short cut!

Why is it that we always feel the need to reinvent ourselves? This summer I was obsessed with having longer hair before my trip to Hawaii and then sometime around Thanksgiving I was longing for the short cut I have now. But it is not just our hair, it can be our weight, or even changing our wardrobe. I used to feel that if I changed my outer appearance something miraculous would happen and I would feel this change on the inside too. But this only works temporarily.

 How many times have you walked out of the hairdresser with your new look and felt like a new woman? How about when you put on that new outfit and you instantly gain a sense of confidence that you never had before. All of these things are great and fun! But what is your reason for reinvention? When the haircut grows back, you regain a few pounds or the new wardrobe becomes outdated do you think it is time for another reinvention? This cannot only get expensive but mentally exhausting.  So this time I made sure that my outward reinvention became a reflection on how I felt inside. I made sure not to make any outward changes until I loved the way I felt on the inside. Before I made any changes I made sure that I felt that my confidence shone from within. So go ahead and reinvent yourself but always remember your reason for reinvention.
Mai Tai in Hawaii
Christmas 2010

1 comments:

Alicia on January 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM said...

You aint never lie! Changes from the inside out are always the most effective!

Post a Comment