Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself......

Saturday, January 1, 2011

I am Nicole the third daughter of five, a middle child...(yes I had the middle child syndrome).  I am Worley- the nickname my loving and incredibly supportive husband has given me. (It's a long story but it has something to do with my maiden name) I am Mommy to two beautiful daughters who keep me young and on my toes! I am Nikki-the friend of a chosen few. I am teacher to all the little ones who enter my classroom door each year. All of these titles combined is what makes me who I am but in order for me to be the best I can be in all of these roles I had to go back to just being Nicole and learn how to love myself unconditionally!

Let me explain....
At some time or other I let each one of these roles define me. They controlled my level of happiness and how content I was about my life. Now don't get me wrong each one of these roles play a major role in my life and I would not have the wonderful life that I have now without them. However, I didn't always love myself no matter what. In order to do that I had to just be Nicole again. The Nicole that didn't have all these other roles and titles...the Nicole who only had herself to care for. Before the kids, the husband, the degrees, the house in the suburbs and the career.

This past summer I was determined to get to know her again.  So I made a little deal with myself; I would join the gym and get in shape and as I drive to the gym each day I would think about all the things that worried, depressed or burdened me. However, I promised myself that as soon as I walked through the gym doors I would not think about anything else except ME and leave all those stresses behind. At first it wasn't easy because as ran on the treadmill my mind kept going back to the last conversation I had with my daughter or what I was going to cook for dinner or if the all this hard work with my trainer was worth it all.

But eventually it worked. And with the help of Mary, Sasha Fierce and some of the many of gospel songs on my playlist I was able to tune out the world for two hours a day, six days a week, focus on ME and lose 40 pounds! This began the amazing rediscovery of me and learning to love myself from the inside out! I am still a work in progress but I am so excited about the rest of the journey!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, it's really inspiring and something that all women can relate to and we should all take time to do for ourselves. I must start immediately!

Nikki on January 5, 2011 at 7:33 AM said...

Thank you! It took me some time to start feeling this way and as I said I am still a work in progress. I know that you have it in you to do anything you want to do!

TheAudreyBlog™ on February 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM said...

Thank you for subscribing to my blog. I see that this will be a very encouraging place to be :-) I look forward to seeing what else you have to share.

Donna said...

Funny as I read this I said to myself I call you Nicole are we friends? YES we are! I love and admire all the other roles you are but yes you are Nicole my friend. Nicely written.

Post a Comment