A Hair Story

Monday, September 26, 2011

Once upon a time there was a woman who moved from the big city to a small suburban town. This town had everything she needed good schools, great neighbors and beautiful homes on tree-lined streets. It had everything a girl needed except....a good hairdresser.

Although she loved her new suburban life the one thing she missed was her hairdresser because she had really known how to take care of her hair. She knew her style and didn't need have to give her too many directions; and the woman was satisfied every time she left the shop. The woman loved the hairdresser so much that for a year after moving she still traveled to the city to get her hair done. But with gas prices the way they are it got to be too much so then she began the hunt to find the perfect local hairdresser.

First, her neighbor recommended a hairdresser in town; she was an older lady who seemed to be very knowledgeable about hair. The woman gave the hairdresser specific instructions on how she liked to wear her hair and the hairdresser seemed to really understand. When she was done, the woman's hair looked good......for someone 25 years older than her. So she put on a hat and went home.

Then, she heard of another hairdresser a few towns over so she decided to give her a try. She did a good job taking care of her hair and was a wizard with a highlights! She understood the woman's style and so she thought this was it...she had finally found her! Until the woman decided to cut her hair short and found out that her new hairdresser doesn't cut short hair very well.

Next, a friend told her about a hairdresser a little further anyway who was great at cutting short hair so she decided it was worth the trip! Although she was very pleased with her new short and chic look, the hair dresser's chair-side manner left a lot to be desired; she was not very friendly and she pushed and pulled the woman's head in all directions and even accused her of not knowing how to keep her head still while getting her hair cut. (THE NERVE) She left there four and a half hours later (yes, you read right 4 1/2 hours) with a fab haircut but instead of having that pampered feeling she felt slightly abused. But she loved her cut so much she did give her one more try a few months later with the hopes that she might have just been having a bad day...but there was no change. So the woman decided that even though she loved her hair she wasn't driving all that way to be ill-treated.

Finally, one day as she was passing by a hair salon less than 5 minutes away from her house she saw a young woman doing hair and decided to go talk to her....what the heck it was worth a shot! They chatted for a while about hair experiences and personal style and then made an appointment. She seemed very knowledgeable about hair, said she was able to do a variety of styles and hair types and very friendly! From the minute the woman sat in her chair she felt like she had known her for years. As they chatted and laughed the woman thought to herself this may just be the beginning of a long hair/client relationship! When she was done and she spun her chair for the woman to look in the mirror she knew that my her search was over.

Moral of this story....Never give up your search for the perfect hairdresser. I mean a girl's hair has to look good, right?

The End!!


7 comments:

Tiffany on September 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM said...

yeah I have been looking for this for a lifetime. Many I have liked but no one I have loved.

Peace, Love and Chocolate,
Tiffany

Shannon on September 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM said...

Omgoodness, this is so true! It's probably one of the most important thing next to finding a good church or school/daycare for your children!! :)

Alicia on September 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM said...

We go through great lengths for good hair -- small price to pay for looking, feeling, and staying beautiful.

Melinda on September 27, 2011 at 1:11 AM said...

"Your hair is a frame for your face, would you put a work of art on a wall with a piece of tape?" my stylist once told me. At the time she was my best friend and our salon was the living room. I was the happiest guinea pig ever to be a cosmetology student's practice barbie.

After we were no longer close enough, it took me 5 stylist interviews to find someone good enough to recreate the living art on my head. Recession caution has had me scaling back my services from fancy foils and fire engine red hair to all over auburn for two reasons. Interviewing with chic hair is lost on some employers so I had to mild the wild.

This month was my first experiment with home hair chemistry. It took me a week of researching products to decide that no grocery store box color was going to work for me. All of that school my friend went through she made me learn and practice on her head so I was half prepared for this. I headed in to the salon supply store and half an hour later had decided on a formulation and gathered my supplies.

Difficult as it is to paint the hair on the front of your head you also have to do the back of your head only at the grow out too, I somehow managed to get it in all the right spots. The color turned out an acceptably beautiful auburn shade surprisingly close to the original salon color that had grown out previously.

Overall it worked, my hair still looks great and I saved a ton of money doing it myself but I would go back to my stylist in a hot minute and snuggle into that pampering chair if it were in my budget.

So every day I go to school, every night I study... I am even more motivated to keep my highest honors and get a fantastic job so I can get my stylist back.

Stephanie on September 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM said...

Love it! Never give up, every girl needs agreat hair stylist!

Mrs. Pancakes on September 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM said...

Just came across your blog today and it made me smile after I read this post because I am still in search of my perfect hair dresser and this makes me want to continue the search. Thank you!

Nikki on October 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM said...

@Tiffany - I know it is so hard to find the a hair dresser that you LOVE but keep searching it is so important! :)

@Shannon - I totally agree!

@Alicia- Yup, I agree, it is a very small price to pay!

@Melinda- "Your hair is a frame for your face, would you put a work of art on a wall with a piece of tape?" So true. I LOVED your story! It just shows that finding the perfect hairdresser is truly a universal struggle for women! :)

@ModernMom- I agree us girls deserve the best of everything and that includes a hair stylist!

@Mrs.Pancakes- Welcome!! Glad I could make you smile! Never give up the search! You deserve to have the perfect hairdresser!

Post a Comment