Exercising My Right to Bare Arms!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

It is so true that we are our own worst critic. Sometimes when we look in the mirror we find everything that can possibly be wrong with the way we look. Our nose is too big, our ears are too small; you name it we have found something to complain about. I know I have. My flaws are many, some I can hide....and some not so much. But I am learning to embrace my imperfections and have developed a healthy disregard about what others may have to say about them. It took me some time, but finally I have gotten to the point in my life where I can honestly say.....I am owning my looks....flaws and all.

My arms have been one of my nemesis for a while. At first it was their size. I hated the way they looked in sleeveless shirts. So I always wore sweaters or some sort of covering over them. Since losing weight my arms are now at a size that I am comfortable showing but now as a result of the weight loss I have....stretch marks. Yes, the dreaded marks that tell the story of skin that has been stretched as a result of rapid weight gain or loss. Story of my life. So now even though I finally have gotten to a point where I feel good about the size, I began to feel self-confident about these marks. sigh.

So after trying a host of products promising the magical disappearance of stretch marks and looking for cute cardigans to go over every sleeveless tank and sun-dress that I own I finally said.....what the heck am I doing? This is me d*mn it! Take it or leave it. How can I tell young girls to own their looks when I am hiding behind cardigans and long sleeves shirts in 90 degree temperatures?

So who cares about a few imperfections here and there. We all have them. I recently saw this picture of Jennifer Hudson and she wasn't hiding her stretch marks behind make-up as most of the other stars do and she looks fabulous! Talk about self-confidence!!

So I said so-long to those cover-ups and hello to my new arms. They may not be flawless or the perfect size and shape but they are all I got and they are mine!
Learning to love what you see when you look in the mirror flaws and all is what really counts. So go ahead exercise your right to bare arms, wear a two-piece, or ___________ (place your flawed body part here) and repeat after me "This is me d*mn it! Take it or leave it!"

3 comments:

Shannon on August 17, 2011 at 8:56 AM said...

L-O-V-E!!! I needed this this morning!! :-)

Tiffany on August 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM said...

Great post. I have to get on board with wearing a two piece.

Peace, Love and Chocolate,
Tiffany

Alicia on August 19, 2011 at 12:48 AM said...

This is super duper empowering! So true -- this is us and we have to learn to love ALL of ourselves. If we can't, no one else will. Word.

But, ummm... do I have to say that about the *beauty* marks on my stomach??? #JustSaying

Post a Comment