To tat or not to tat, that is the question!

Friday, March 25, 2011

When my daughter Shay turned 18 she got a tattoo mainly because since she was 16 she wanted one and I wouldn’t let her! I didn’t understand why in the world she would want to write all over her body. So of course as soon as she was 18 and could pay for it on her own she got her first tattoo and a year later she got 2 more. Oh, my sweet rebellious daughter.

But now just a few years later I too… dare I say… want a tattoo. It all began the summer of 2008 while vacationing in Cancun, Mexico. My family and I stumbled upon a booth where I spotted a local man designing a henna tattoo on a tourist. I was intrigued and found myself drawn to the booth and within a half an hour my youngest daughter Cookie and I both had henna tattoos on our ankles. Hers displaying a butterfly and mine had my hubby's name in an adorable heart. I remember lying on the lounge chair by the pool admiring my little henna tat and thinking this is so freakin’ cute! Fast-forward to every vacation since then where I find myself searching for the local on every beach who could hook me up with a temporary tat on my ankle.

However, recently I have been thinking a lot about replacing the henna with, ink thus making this vacation ritual a more permanent souvenir. There is just something about that little design on my ankle that makes my little summer outfits just a little cuter. I am sure that Shay will get a big laugh out of this one if I really decide to go through with it. I could just hear her in a sarcastic voice asking me why would I want to write on my body.

Anyway, I am not sure if I will really do it but it is definitely on my bucket list. What do you think ladies… should I go for it or just stick to my annual henna fix?

Cookie getting her first henna in Mexico


10 comments:

Kerissa on March 25, 2011 at 1:06 AM said...

Go for it. I got my first tattoo in college. Being the preacher's kid my mom was adamant that I not mark up my body. Eleven years later, I want another one. A butterfly on the top of my foot or my back. Maybe we should meet up and do it together?

Celeste on March 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM said...

If it means something close and dear to your heart than go for it! If not spend $$ on some great saucy shoes ;-D

CHEERS!

Marilyn on March 25, 2011 at 7:28 AM said...

Loving Your Blog.. Officially Following you from blog hop :)) Loving that you got your tat, it's really a personal piece of something you believe inspires or moves you and you can always carry it wherever you go.;)) Please stop by and visit sometime.. I'm Marilyn from http://www.theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com

Unknown on March 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM said...

I say henna because you can change it to whatever you like based on your mood. A tat is forever. Now following you from the Boost by blog hop. Hope you have a great weekend. http://tvstake.blogspot.com

Heavenly Savings on March 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM said...

Nice Blog! I enjoyed looking around and can’t wait to see your future posts! I’m a new follower Happy Friday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!
http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

Laila Knight on March 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM said...

Nikki, let me first say that I love your positive attitude and wish more people were like you. I've always considered getting a tat and henna looks so pretty. The thing about a temporary tat is that it wears off and you have the option to change it often. I guess it all depends on how fickle you are...^-^...

Have a great weekend.

Yankee Texan on March 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM said...

Go for it! I got my first tat at 21 and just recently got the second one for my 39th birthday last year. There's a probably a third one coming in my forties! Here from the Happy Monday Blog Hop and am now a follower.

Alicia on March 30, 2011 at 12:17 AM said...

Don't do it.... you'll never hear the end of it from Shay.

Nikki on April 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM said...

Thanks for the advice ladies!

Still not sure if I will do it or not but either way I will surely write a post about it!

Unconditionally yours,

Nikki

Anonymous said...

I have the same dilemma. I've never wanted anything permanent on me, but lately I've been thinking about one too. If you decide to go for it. Call me, I might go with you!:)
Karitsa

Post a Comment