Today she's 21!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

21 years ago today at exactly 10:11PM I became a mother for the very first time. At 20 years young I brought my oldest daughter into the world with no meds and a whole lot of awkward and uncontrolled pushing. She came into this world kicking and screaming! Now that I think about it since birth she has wanted to be the center of attention!
As a young mother she and I had to grow up together. Although she learned from me, having her taught me so much. For example, as I was potty training her she was teaching me how to be patient and when I had to pass on those after work parties she taught me about responsibility. When I had to make difficult decisions on her behalf she taught me to be an advocate. Oh yeah and the time she took a whole jar of Vaseline and covered herself in it from head to toe then rolled around on the brand new light blue sofa and then proceeded to watch TV like nothing...yeah that time she taught me about tolerance!
It is so true that motherhood does not come with a manual and I am a perfect example because honestly, at some points through those teenage years I felt like a complete failure as a mother. But I am thankful for each and every one of those 21 years, the happy times and the not so happy times that have made us both grow into the women we are today. You see she and I have a special connection, we have a type of unconditional love that only a mother and daughter can share!
So today my little girl is 21! I know for her this probably means that now she could have her first drink (yeah, who I am kidding) and go to a 21 and over club. But to me it’s bittersweet…it means that my baby is no longer a baby but I know that we will continue to learn from each other for many years to come!

Happy Birthday Beautiful!

Stay tuned next week for......The Celebration!

8 comments:

Ashanti on March 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM said...

my favorite blog of all. i am so HONORED . u wont ever let that grease incident go lol i am truly sorry about that. u r my superwoman and if i ever become half the woman u r i will be just fine.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Ashanti! Great pictures!!!
Diane

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ashanti. Beautiful pictures. God bless!

Sophia Elrington said...

Beautiful!!!!!!

ciara f. on March 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM said...

such a beautiful blog and so sweet. Happy b-day shants!

Anonymous said...

As I read this a tear came to me eye. I met you and Ashanti when she was turning two and now she's 21. We did it. This blog will help all of us who have been moms for half our live to know we can do anything.
Nicole I am so proud of you.

I Love You,
Tracy

Nikki on March 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM said...

Thanks Trace! Yes, we have been mothers for half our lives, haven't we? LOL! Well I guess that is something to celebrate! Love you too girl!

Alicia on March 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM said...

Can't wait to see the celebration pics and hear the funny stories! Have a great time!

BTW... I wanna be you when I grow up. #thatisall

Post a Comment