Phenomenal Woman, Karitsa!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My name is Karitsa, my nickname is Kary (pronounced in Spanish, Kah-dee).
I am one of three children and a middle child. My family is my world. I am a Jersey girl, born and raised by the shore, now living in South Jersey. I have been teaching for ten years. I decided to become an educator because I love children and I love learning! I am a wife and a stepmom to a six year old little boy. I am many things, but my proudest role has been a recent one, I am a new mommy.

My daughter is three months young and my greatest love. She came during the most difficult time in my life. When I was seven months pregnant, I lost my father. It was and still is the most painful experience of my life. I was a daddy’s girl. My mother always accused me of loving him more than I love her. That is not true, there’s just something really special between a father and his daughter/s. I thought I wouldn’t be able to withstand the pain of losing him. It was almost unbearable.

My father had been sick for many years. I was blessed to have him walk me down the aisle. I cried our whole father daughter dance because I was so thankful that God had answered my prayer of him being there on my big day. When I found out that I was pregnant, I knelt down and asked God to please let my father see my baby, his first grandchild. All I needed was two more months for that second prayer to come true.

My daughter has helped me cope with my loss. She has brought me happiness in the midst of my pain. When she smiles at me, my whole world feels right. I love just walking past her and seeing how excited she gets to see me. I love her so much. I realize that’s how my dad must’ve felt about me.

I was scheduled to go back to work at the end of this month. However, I have decided to stay home with my daughter until the following school year. It is something I debated since I brought her home because I knew that it will require us to make adjustments to our lifestyle. However, if anything is worth the sacrifice, it is this. I will never get this time back with my daughter. She will only be this little for a short time. If I have learned anything from losing my father, it is that the time you have with your loved ones is precious and truly a gift. Once that time is gone, it’s gone forever. So I stepped out in faith, and wrote a letter to my school district that I will see them… in September! Every time my baby does something new or I see how she’s growing, I know this was the best decision that I have ever made.



One reason that I decided to start this blog was for women to celebrate how fabulous we are and for us to inspire one other. Karitsa continues to inspire me in many ways! From her unconditional love for her family and amazing faith to her recent decision to be a (temporary) SAHM! It is my hope that her story is an inspiration to others too!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karitsa,
I miss seeing your smiling face when you walked through the door. I can’t wait to meet your little one and see you again.
I share your feeling about missing a loved one and having your child(ren) keep your heart from fully sinking. The feeling of having such a loss IS truly unbearable but seeing, hearing and being with my children has/is helping out a GREAT deal. You said the words for me that I haven’t found, when you said, “I realize that’s how my dad must’ve felt about me.” I miss her dearly but her memory will last a life time. I THANK GOD that I/we were able to spend our last moments together.
Thank You for sharing your words/feeling.

~~~Nikki – your page IS a wonderful idea and a wonderful breath of fresh air!!!!

Vindhia

Alicia on March 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM said...

Hello Karitsa!!! You speak about your love for your Father and daughter with such passion. I can "hear" it in your voice. Staying home might be an adjustment, but you are so right -- you'll never get this time back. There will always be more money to earn, but those precious moments and memories, you can't get 'em back. Enjoy your little blessing!

Mimi on March 5, 2011 at 2:05 AM said...

Yes, while adjustments are necessary you can NEVER get these times back. I too stay home with my 10 month old. I am so thankful to have had this time with her. When I get frustrated I remember that the baby sitter could be seeing all of her firsts instead of me.

Losing a parent is very hard. I am a daddy's girl as well, and I can't imagine not having him here. Thank you for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much ladies and wonderful valid points you all made.
Vinnie, I know exactly how you feel about your mom. Her memory will live with you forever. It's a very difficult process that you and I are both going through. Thank God for our babies! I would've lost it had it not been for my baby. I miss you too and can't wait to see you..
~Karitsa

Kerissa on March 25, 2011 at 1:13 AM said...

Hi Karitsa, let me thank you for being a part of the world of education. I too am on the front lines daily striving to get another child to love reading as much as I do. I'm the proud mother of an 11 year old son. I was able to stay at home with him for almost a full year. The time I had with him is indescribable. It is still very precious when I look back at the pages and pages of photos documenting the time. The kids will always be there needing you. Enjoy the time with your own. I've always said it would be insane for me to invest more in my students than I invest in my own son. Blessing to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerissa,
Thank you for sharing your own experiences. I'm glad you still look back at that precious time with your son during his first year. I know I will be doing the same:) I love what you said that it would be insane to invest more in your students than in your own. That is so true! Blessings to you and your family as well.
Karitsa

Post a Comment