Run Over Domestic Violence!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Today I participated in the 3rd annual Run Over Violence 5k race with some amazing women. The purpose of this event was to raise awareness about domestic violence as well as gather donations for Womanspace, an organization that shelters and rehabilitates women who have been subjected to domestic violence.

Since this was my first 5k run I really didn't know how much running vs. walking I could do. Although, I run on the treadmill with some intensity I was a little hesitate about running on land. When the race first began I started out pretty good, and then slowly started losing steam. When I got to the half-way mark I realized that I had made a wrong turn and I saw that I was actually headed toward the finished line?! As tired as I was I could have continued to run and pretended that I ran the whole 5k in record time and no one would have ever known....but that would be cheating, right? So I turned around, ran back to the half way mark and finished the whole 5k. So I guess I actually ran more than 5k!!! I can be such an overachiever!

Although the run was exhausting, it was also quite invigorating at the same time. Just knowing that I had a part in helping bring awareness to this worthy cause helps make the pain of my shin splints right now worthwhile.

"Domestic violence is the actual or threatened physical, sexual, emotional or economic abuse of an individual by someone with whom they have or have had an intimate relationship. Violence against women is a human issue, and a social problem. It’s up to the community to take a stand against abuse, hold abusers accountable for their behavior and protect victims."(www.womanspace.org)

If you or anyone you know are a victim of domestic violence contact 1.800.799.SAFE (7233). Remember you are not alone!




5 comments:

Laila Knight on April 11, 2011 at 1:39 PM said...

Good for you!! That's a lot of jogging, and for such a great cause. There's no excuse for domestic abuse.

Alicia on April 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM said...

Way to go, Nikki. You should be proud.

April said...

Yeah!!! I am sooo proud of you. Maybe I'll join you on your next run!!!!! Keep giving, you have a beautiful heart.

Kerissa on April 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM said...

Thanks for participating in an event that I am all to familiar. Grew up in a home that was once captive to this awful demon. You've made a difference in many lives with your service.

Unknown on December 29, 2011 at 3:23 AM said...

Great.... an There should be no excuse for domestic abuse. William C. Behrndt

Post a Comment