Enjoying Every Last Minute!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

One day this week my daughter and I were in Target, as I passed the swimsuit aisle I started complaining about not being able to wait for this school year to end and summer vacation to begin. I expected my daughter to strongly agree but instead she said, “I don’t want to rush the year mommy because that would mean my freshman year will be over and I want to enjoy every last minute of my high school years.” Wow, this from a 14 year old. We have always told her not to be in a rush to grow up and to enjoy every experience that life has to offer. Guess I need to take my own advice.

So I began to think about all the moments in my life that I constantly rush through. I can’t count the times I have said, "I can’t wait for Friday", and it was only Monday! Or when I asked a colleague, "how many more days until Spring Break?"(15), or when I felt a wave of disappointment on Sunday evening because I knew that Monday was right around the corner. My daughter helped me to realize that instead of longing for the next future thing to happen, I need to embrace what is happening in that very moment. Oh, did I mention that my daughter is AMAZING!

Enjoy your weekend friends! I know I will…every last minute of it!


10 comments:

Celeste on April 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM said...

SO true! I find myself living more in the future and not enjoying the moment. Another wonderful post girl. Beautiful pic of you and your daughter!!

CHEERS!

Celeste on April 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM said...

One more...actually 2 more :-)
THAN YOU so much for adding me to you blogs that inspire! ((hug))

Also, you might want to go over here and drop your post link in the list!

http://www.thesitsgirls.com/2011/04/natural-parenting-blogger/

LLM Calling on April 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM said...

My life has changed so much since I've started appreciating every second at a time, it is truly wonderful how each second is
emma
http://majorloveoffilm.blogspot.com

Shannon on April 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM said...

Your daughter IS amazing (and a cutie too)! Love this post, as I get ready to go back to work from my Spring Break. I will think about this all week! :)

Smiles,
Shannon

P.S. New one from me --->

http://www.hercuprunsover.com/p/our-faith.html

Anonymous said...

I think anticipation can be a good thing. Yes, you must live in the moment but we shouldn't loose the anticipation of what is to come.

"Remember the Past, Live the Present, Look to the Future."

Bring Pretty Back on April 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM said...

Your daughter is a WISE young woman!!! She is so right!
Have a pretty day!!!!
Kristin

Laila Knight on April 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM said...

I don't think I've ever heard a kid say that. You must reveal your secret so I can use it at home. I guess we look forward to the weekend because it's fun time with family. The week is somewhat limited. We just need to make it work. Great post.

Nikki on April 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM said...

Thanks ladies! She is a exceptional young lady and I am not just saying that because she is my child! She always amazes me with her wisdom!

Nikki

Alicia on April 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM said...

Yea... she's pretty awesome. Totally my motto -- happiness is a journey, not a destination. Except I don't entirely feel that way right now w/grad school b/c I can't wait to graduate. Except, I can.

Kerissa on April 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM said...

What can I say that hasn't already been said. I wake up claiming everyday to be a beautiful day so I have not choice but to enjoy and not rush through it. Although some days when I'm teaching...sighs..that's a different thing all together. @Alicia, I have a candle on my bedroom dresser with that quote.

Post a Comment